Monday, March 11, 2013

LED Guitar #2 - Cutting fret slots on the table saw

I already made a more detailed post about how I use a fret saw table saw blade to cut a 0.023" kerf for fret wire. I won't go into the details here.

I had to make a new template out of aluminum. My first template was for a 25.5" scale guitar neck, and I needed a template for a 34" bass guitar scale neck. Once I made my template it was easy work. Here are a few pictures and a video:

Old template, new template 

 I made four purpleheart fretboards. If I'm going to make one, I might as well make several.


Here is what it looks like when it is finished.

Short video.

I shot this video in a cluttered garage, so sorry about the mess. Also, I don't demonstrate very good safety procedures...  Be careful whenever using a table saw. These things take off peoples' fingers every day. Lucky for me, it's only poking up about 1/8", and it's a very thin kerf, but I should be more careful anyway.

2 comments:

  1. by any chance do you know how to do a table saw alignment for a vintage table saw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to use the fretboard that was removed instead of building a new one?

    ReplyDelete